Credit Card on File Policy

Thank you for choosing South Shore Skin Center for your dermatology and skin care needs. We are committed to providing you with exceptional medical care, as well as making our medical billing processes as simple and efficient as possible.   Recent shifts in the healthcare industry have resulted in insurance companies increasingly transferring costs to our patients, you, the insured.

This is driving many physician practices to adopt new financial policies to enable more efficient operational processes. Some insurance plans require deductibles and co-payments in amounts not known to you or us at the time of your visit.

Please take a moment to view and download the form to the right, and familiarize yourself with our practice’s Credit Card on File Policy.

Credit Card on File Policy FAQ’s

What is a Deductible and How Does It Affect Me?

An annual deductible is the dollar amount you must pay out of pocket during the year for medical expenses before your insurance coverage begins to pay. For example, if the policy has a $500 deductible, you must pay the first $500 of medical expenses before the insurance company begins to pay for most services.

What is a Co-Insurance?

A Co-Insurance is usually a percentage of health care expenses for which the patient has a financial responsibility. For example, your health insurance plan may cover 80 percent of the cost of health care services and require you to pay the remaining 20 percent.

When does a deductible begin?

Most plan years begin January 1ST. Check with your insurance plan to confirm your individual plan information.

When do I have to pay for services?

Any time you receive medical care, you are expected to pay in full for your services until your deductible and co-insurance responsibilities are met.

How will I know when my deductible has been met?

Call your insurance company at any time to check on how much of your deductible has been met; some insurance companies have this information available online. Every time you receive medical services, you will receive notification from your insurance company that explains the amount they paid and the amount that must be paid by you.

I've never had to do this before at any other doctor's office.

This may be a departure from what you have been used to, but the credit card on file practice is becoming more common in many medical practices, imaging centers, outpatient surgical centers and hospitals.

Why am I being singled out? I always pay all my bills.

We are now asking all patients to provide a credit or debit card. In addition to helping us minimize our costs to collect unpaid balances, we think this new policy will be a convenient way for you to pay your medical bill.

Where will my credit card information be stored?

Your credit card information will be stored in the secured electronic vault of our credit card payment processor, TSYS Merchant Services.

What about identity theft and privacy?

Under the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS), TSYS is required to comply with very strict standards to safeguard your credit card information. South Shore Skin Center as a merchant of TSYS is also required to maintain PCI compliance.

What if I don't have a credit card?

You are welcome to leave a HSA (Health Savings Account) or Flex Plan card on file, or you can pay with cash or check for the visit in full. You would then be reimbursed by South Shore Skin Center for any subsequent payment made by your insurance carrier. We also offer Care Credit, which is an interest free health care credit card with an easy application and approval process.

Isn’t your having my credit card on file the same as my 'signing a blank check'?

No. All credit card contracts give cardholders the right to challenge any charge made against their account.

Isn’t this the same as "balance billing"?

No, “balance billing” is asking the patient to pay the difference between our normal fee and the insurance company’s normal payment. That would be a breach of our contract with the insurance company. What we charge to the patient’s credit card is the portion of the bill that the insurance company determined is the patient’s responsibility.

What if I have more questions?

Our billing staff is happy to speak with you about your account at any time.